Monday, June 16, 2008

Flying the goodtimes - 2

As soon as I got my seat, I started window gazing, that I didnt quite notice, that my fellow passanger was a huge person. He occupied the entire area, and looked very unfriendly. But what to do? I had to confirm, if I was on the right flight. So I very meekly, wonder if my voice was squeaky, but I think, I appeared very confident, asked the crew. "Excuse me, what happened?". Of course that wasn't what I wanted to ask. But thats all what came out of my mouth. And it was another Brit-looking guy who answered. "Madam, I am afraid, we have a technical snag". Saying that he went off, towards the cockpit. And lo, there comes and announcement. "We are sorry. One of our accumulators have drained off completely. we have not enough charge to make the take-off.etc ...etc...".
But I am relieved. Double joy. I am on the RIGHT flight, and the flight is DELAYED. See, I know'em all. They say, it will take off in half-an-hour. Half-an-hour passes. The other flight takes off.
We have been recharged, but we are waiting for clearance from ATC for take-off. Once u get delayed, u are sidelined, and in a busy airport, as Bengaluru, u are sidelined, big time.
Finally, take-off is announced. Seat belt sign flashes. Our plane starts moving. I am at my window, peering outside, through the small drizzle. I see another huge jet (mine is an ATR)approaching at right angles, towards my aircraft's path. After sometime it drove into our path, and because I couldnt see it crossing, I assumed that it drove right in front of us, with us tailgating. It must have taken-off, and we would have followed it.
The remaining journey was pretty uneventful. The night was cloudy, and it was raining heavily. I could see the rain, and could also see the topography changing. The aircraft was flying very low. The captain was very chatty and was rattling off like a tour guide, to the extent of trying to make us distinguish between the aircraft's light and lightning. The food was delicious, the dessert mouth-watering, and service very friendly. Yup, we were delayed by almost an hour, but I had a good time:-)

1 comment:

methetrentini said...

hey that was an interesting experience... i agree that domestic air travel in india is a stressful, at the same time comical experience..where the onlooker will be duh'hed in identifying the clown in the scene...whether it is the bossy (but polite!) ground staff or the confused passenger...
bangalore domestic terminal is a classic example!!!